Caregiver Tablet Engagement Strategy
ENHANCE THE CARE EXPERIENCE FOR CAREGIVERS, CLIENTS, AND FAMILIES
Generation Connect has partnered with Visiting Angels franchises in York and Lancaster PA to pilot a tablet engagement strategy designed to help caregivers make meaningful connections with clients that are living with physical or cognitive challenges.
Engage with Personalized Music
Personally meaningful music helps people living with Alzheimer’s and related dementias:
- Relax and cope with challenging symptoms such as chronic pain, anxiety, and depression
- Improve physical functioning and reduce falls
- Connect to cherished memories and feel more like themselves
Reminisce with YouTube Videos
There are billions of videos on YouTube that span endless topics, cultures, eras, and sensibilities. Explore and reminisce with a wide variety of video content, including:
- Travel, nature, and animal
- Spiritual, cultural, and performance
- Comedy, classic TV, and movie clips
- Storytelling, vocations, and more!
Socialize with Client Photos
Use photos and videos from family members and friends to facilitate enjoyable conversation. Utilize different types of images to help people with memory loss socialize, including:
- Current photographs of children, grandchildren and other family members
- Family photographs from the client's past
- Images of places, pets, and events from the client's past
Phase I Pilot
Our initial pilot with the Visiting Angels in York, Pennsylvania involved a small group of caregivers and their clients. We focused on clients that would benefit the most from increased engagement; most client participants had been diagnosed with dementia and/or had a history of challenging behaviors.
Throughout the course of the year-long pilot, we conducted hundreds of surveys, collected data on caregiver tablet usage, and interviewed families to determine the most valuable use cases and business implications.
- Engagement sessions helped manage client’s moods (97% successful mood outcomes)
- Engagement sessions improved caregiver experience (95% caregiver satisifaction)
- Participating clients increased total hours of care
- Clients with a history of challenging behavior, high caregiver turnover became significantly more cooperative and built lasting relationships with caregivers
- Participating family became promoters of Visiting Angels services
Phase II Pilot
We are seeking Visiting Angels franchises that are interested in participating in the Phase II Pilot.
- Managed iPads, customized with client content
- A live webinar series to help project leaders launch the program
- On-demand training courses for leadership team and caregivers
- Caregiving & technology tutorials for music, video, and family communications
- Chat, email, and phone support for leadership team and caregivers
- Visiting Angels branded family communication templates, flyers
Objectives for Phase II Pilot:
- Measure key performance indicators - client hours, caregiver retention, net promoter score
- Develop a customer-facing pricing model to offset tablet costs
- Assess opportunity to build Visiting Angels family communication app
If you are interested in learning more about the Phase II pilot, please submit your name, email, and franchise location below. We are working with Visiting Angels to determine specific pricing and dates for the project. Our team will follow up with an invitation to an informational at the end of summer with program details.
How Everyday Technology is Transforming Elder Care
The following presentation on technology innovation in elder care was presented on June 19th, 2018 at the Visiting Angels National Convention in Philadelphia, PA.