Multitasking: Using Two Apps at Once
When you are using an iPad that's been updated to iOS 11 or later, you can use two apps at once. There are two primary methods for Multitasking with multiple apps on the iPad:
- Slide Over - open one app in a small window, on top of an app that is open in full screen.
- Split Screen - have two apps open simultaneously, side by side.
Opening an App in Slide Over
Slide Over allows you to have a second app open in an iPhone size window on top of an app that is open in full screen. This is especially helpful when you are writing in notes, email, or messages, and need to quickly search for information using Safari.
To open an app in Slide Over mode:
- Start by sliding up to access the Dock.
- Place your finger on the app that you want to open in Slide Over, drag it on to the page and release.
The second app will appear in an iPhone sized window on the side of the screen.
Not all apps can be opened in Slide Over. Most of Apple's standard apps such as, Mail, Notes, Safari, and Messages are compatible with Slide Over, but many apps have not been setup to work with the feature.
Closing and Re-opening Slide Over
If you want to hide the Slide Over window, simply place your finger on the grey tab at the top of the window and slide to the right.
To re-summon the window, slide your finger from the right side of the screen.
Opening an App in Split View
Another option for using two apps at the same time is Split View. With Split View, both apps will appear on the screen at the same time, and you can adjust the app panes.
To activate Split View:
- Start by sliding up to access the Dock
- Next, place your finger on the app that you want to open in Split View and drag it to the far edge of the screen. The main app pane will move over, showing a blank space. Once you see the blank space, release the app and it will open in split view.
Not all apps can be opened in Split View. Most of Apple's standard apps such as, Mail, Notes, Safari, and Messages are compatible with Split View, but some apps have not been setup to work with the feature.
Using Split View
In Split View, you can use both apps at the same time. This is especially useful for tasks such as copying and pasting text from one app to another.
Resizing Split View
Change the size of Split View windows by placing your finger on the vertical tab and sliding.
Exiting Split View
The easiest way to exit Split View is to place your finger on the vertical tab and slide to the edge, so that the desired app takes up the entire screen.
Generation Connect is a technology training company that develops tutorials, videos, and printed guides. Learn more about our Beyond the Basics iPad eBook.